Why is "W" called "Double-U"?

If you think about it, it doesn't make sense. "W" looks like double-V not double-U!! The French have it right, they way they say it literally means double-v.  français est super*. But that's not all. Not only is it named oddly, it's the ONLY letter in the alphabet (pronounced in English) that has more than one syllable. Why alphabet-inventors? WHY!?!?! Personally, I think we should go with the whole theme of pronouncing letters with "eee"s added on (D, T, G, B, P ect.) and call it "weee". Though some one would have to come up with a new tune for the alphabet song . . .  Maybe since it's summer vacation I have too much time on my hands but it's interesting to think about. 
W


* Translation: "French is great."

Comments

  1. You're right!! Omg I never noticed! Also there would be no "le", simply "Francais est super"

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts